Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Milk vs. Meat


1 Peter 2 (New King James Version)

1 Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, 2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.



Hebrews 5:12-14 (New King James Version)


12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk isunskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.


The topic of “milk” and “meat” is one I have been thinking about lately. I grew up hearing that the “milk” is just weak things for weak Christians and that a “real” Christian only needs the “meat”. I now believe the “milk” is the basic foundational truths of Christianity. Who God is and how He relates to us; how we approach God; etc. I am still working on the “meat” but I think it has to do with many things related to the Law of God. How we live now that we are new creatures; applying the Word of God to our everyday life; what part of the Law (if any) applies to us and so much more.

Just as only feeding on milk produces a weak Christian, I am proof that only being fed meat also produces a weak Christian. Until recently, I only heard sermons that were full of “meat” (the Law of God) and barely any with “milk” ( the foundational truths). Because of this, I did not have a relationship with God, I was just following a bunch of do’s and don’ts. And if someone did not follow those same do’s and don’ts then they must not be a “real” Christian.

I do understand that you cannot just stay on the “milk”, but I believe that you have to build on it and use it as a basis for everything else. Let me give a farm example here. My parents raised goats for awhile. When baby goats are born, if they are not fed the colostrum milk within 24 hours, they will just drop dead in two weeks. I believe if a Christian is not fed “milk” their Christianity becomes dead. Since I was not fed the “milk” I have to now go back, start over, and bring my Christianity “back to life” so to speak.

I also wonder who is responsible for “feeding” me. My pastor touched on this in his sermon on Sunday. He tries to have some “milk” and some “meat” in each of his sermons because there are Christians at all stages of growth in the congregation, as well as unsaved people. He said that he is not responsible for our personal relationship with God. That it is our responsibility to make sure we are taking what he is teaching and applying it to our lives. He said we are to be making sure we are searching the scriptures and keeping our hearts from becoming a dank cellar.

 I would love to hear your take on this.

1 comment:

  1. This is exactly what I have struggled with for years!! Only the weak need to be reminded. Only the "strong" can understand. Everyone else is second-rate.
    At the same time, I feel that it is very important not to throw out the "law" part (so to speak) because it has cause so much heartache (for lack of a better word). It is the habits, the doing of, that brings the consistant change. "If it were not for the law, I would not know sin."
    Habits of doing right are what "rescue" us in times of weakness and temptation. It is the constant doing of that which is right, even when we don't see the reasons, that keep us on the right path.
    So many times in Scripture, we have to do the action first before God will act. So just be careful not to do away with the actions. Be careful not go too far the opposite direction.
    God does tell us to abhor evil and do what is right.......
    Just a bit of rambling myself for what it is worth.

    ReplyDelete